Explore our education pages that provide practical curriculum material and engaging supporting resources. Our Mobile Connections program allows students to look at the impact of mobile technology and encourages them to take action for a sustainable future. If you would like to run a War on Waste at school we have some great resources to get you started.
Mobile Connections is a Geography teaching and learning program in the Interconnections content area. It covers personal connections, technology, trade, production and consumption all through the lens of a mobile phone.
- Addresses key inquiry questions in the Geography of Interconnections content area.
- Includes over 20 lessons on the topic covering personal connections, tourism, commerce, futures and sustainability action.
- Provides options for assessment and fieldwork.
- Details stimulus material, suggested apps and online resources.
- Introduction (7 pages)
- Section 1: Mobile Connections (14 pages)
- Section 2: Mobile Tourism (12 pages)
- Section 3: Mobile Commerce (14 pages)
- Section 4: A Mobile Future (14 pages)
- Section 5: Mobile Action (4 pages)
Mobile Connections has also been linked to the relevant state-based curriculums.
- Created to support the Sustainability cross-curriculum priority and links to the Humanities and social sciences subject area.
- Explores the life cycle of our mobile technology and how we can take action to ensure we recycle responsibly.
- Uses the Mobile Connections digital library and book to support the teaching and learning program in the classroom.
This resource provides educators with information and resources about sustainable practices that can be promoted within the early childhood setting. The activities enable children to learn about recycling and sustainability through sensory and play-based learning.
Teacher Professional Development
To support you throughout your teaching of the Mobile Connections resources, we have partnered with Cool Australia to create an accredited 2-hour online course.
The Geographical Inquiry Made Simple course will develop your understanding of the geography inquiry process and how it applies to the development of technology rich and sustainability focused teaching and learning. This online professional development course is on-demand, so you can learn anytime and anywhere. It is also accredited in each state and territory.
In this course, you’ll learn:
- How to plan a geographical inquiry unit.
- How to enrich your inquiry through the use of technology.
- How to incorporate sustainability into your inquiry.
- How to extend student learning through student-led action.
- How to engage students in real world geographical learning through the Mobile Connections resources.
New South Wales Teachers
We have partnered with the Field of Mars Environmental Education Centre to offer NSW teachers a free face-to-face professional development course available at multiple locations across the greater Sydney area.
The Geography Action course will unpack the Mobile Connections program and explore the use of technology and sustainability in the geographical inquiry process. This course will contribute 2 hours towards NESA registered professional development.
The digital library provides easy access to animations and interactive tools that will bring Mobile Connections to life in the classroom.
- What’s Inside Your Mobile Phone
- Extending the Life of Your Phone
- The Recycling Journey
- The Benefits of Recycling
- MobileMuster - Our Story
- Environmental Calculator
- What’s In a Phone Quiz
The digital multimodal book is designed to support the Mobile Connections teaching and learning program. It contains narrated videos, stunning images, interactive activities and detailed text to help students design and implement positive actions for sustainability.
This book is available for download with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device. Multi-touch books can be read with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device. Books with interactive features may work best on an iOS device. iBooks on your Mac requires OS X 10.9 or later.
You can download the Mobile Connections ePUB file and read it on your smartphone, tablet, e-reader or computer. This freely available e-book standard supports uses the latest version EPUB 3.1 in fixed format. It supports embedded interactivity, audio, and video.
How to Open an ePUB File
- Readers: EPUB files can be opened in most e-book readers.
- Apps: Plenty of apps exist that allow viewing of ePUB files. Gitden Reader works well.
- Browser: Use the Firefox Add-on (EPUBReader) and Chrome app (Simple EPUB Reader) that allow you to read EPUB files in the browser just like other documents.
- Google Play Books is another place you can open EPUB files by uploading the file to your Google account and viewing it through the web client.
Running a Mobile Muster at your school is free and easy. Simply follow these steps:
- Register your school
- Plan & Promote your Mobile Muster
- Arrange a Pick Up
- Let us do the recycling
- Celebrate your achievement